Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sonic vs Sonic on Android

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991), running on MD.emu
Sonic the Hedgehog for Android



I already finished the game numerous times on my trusty Sega Genesis Model 2.

I was curious about the new release so I compared my experience on both the newly released Sonic on Android to one running on an emulator on Android.

Short comparison of Sonic the Hedgehog from Sega for Android with Sonic the Hedgehog, original Sega Genesis ROM on MD.emu

Both running on myPhone A919i Duo (same as Micromax A116 Canvas HD), on Android 4.1.2

1. $2.99 for one game vs $4.99 for an emulator
2. HD resolution at 60FPS vs native TV resolution
3. Unlockable Tails and Knuckles in new version
4. Spin Dash in new version (from Sonic 2)
5. Sonic seems more floaty compared to original - not a control issue for me, but jump timing seems different
6. Invincibility is longer in new version
7. Cannot speed up score screen with button press in new version

I personally would prefer having both on my phone. It's really a personal choice between a pure version and one optimized for HD. The bells and whistles might not be enough for hardcore gamers to justify the price, especially if you want to put in your home library of old Sega games on your phone.

No comments: