Friday, March 25, 2011

Huawei G2100 Review

I was able to borrow a Huawei G2100 phone from a friend. The phone is being sold in limited quantities at PHP 888 unlocked and is also available as a free phone under Sun Add-On Plan 150. I think this is also being offered by Zong in Pakistan and Movistar in Peru (I might be wrong though).

Huawei is a known manufacturer of mobile phones and equipment, noted for supplying the Philippines with USB modems that are being sold by the top three networks. They also offer a cheap Android phone for sale, the IDEOS. The G2100 is at the lower end of the spectrum, a basic phone for call and text.

The features of this phone are:
  • Colored screen (probably 65K, 1.3 in)
  • Polyphonic ringtones (probably MIDI)
  • Single SIM
  • Dual band
  • Micro-USB port (charging only)
  • 2.5mm headphone jack (headphones not included in retail box)
  • Wireless FM Radio with recording (only up to 150KB, recordings can be used as ringtones/message alert tones)
  • 3 preinstalled wallpapers, no option to upload custom wallpapers
  • Standby text font color can be changed (but not menu font color)
  • Predictive text input (English)
  • One piece rubber keymat resists dust and water
  • 700 mAh Li-Ion battery

The retail box.


What is inside the box.

My impressions:
  • Build quality - all-plastic shell is slightly matte, making it look less like a children's toy. Durable, solid build allows for easy removal of the back cover, and also locks the cover into place with minimal effort.
  • Keypad - responsive. The one piece rubber cover makes it dust/water resistant, a plus for low-end phones and their busy users.
  • Menu and display - speedy and responsive. The wallpaper cannot be customized.




Standby screen.



Menu screen.

  • Call quality - audio is loud and clear even at the middle setting. There might be problems if your network alloted a different frequency to your phone (outside GSM 900/1800), but you will see your signal drop anyway.
  • SMS - basic inbox/outbox functions are adequate, but not surprising. There is minimal lag if you are a fast texter. Sent messages are saved to the outbox. Not much difference from Nokias.
  • Battery life - good, can last 2 days or more depending on use.
  • Manual - adequate and straight to the point, with appropriate illustrations. More useful than the common china phone manufacturer's convoluted logic.

Sample text message.


FM Radio.

In summary, if you are in the market for a cheap basic colored phone that will last, I definitely recommend that you buy the Huawei G2100. It can stand toe-to-toe with other low-end phones from Nokia and Samsung. It is cheaper than the main brands and a little bit pricey compared to the local "china phone" brands. With a full warranty and a better build quality, you would be able to maximize the use of this phone with confidence.

4 comments:

Connor said...

i just bought this phone and as a low end cheap phone its not bad. i would recommend to anyone.

Saeed ur Rehman Pakistani said...

In Sultanate of Oman, NAWRAS, a mobile service provider is offering this phone at the price of RO:8.900 including free of cost SIM card (normally the price is RO:2.000 and RO:0.500 open credit with 150 free local SMS. In deed this is a real special phone and it full fill all the requirements of a mobile phone . Although not having enough features comparing the other phones but my friends you all should know well that what maximum should be a mobile phone....

Unknown said...

I bought this phone but I have a problem. I don't know how this headphone like icon pooped on my home screen now I can't hear an voice call neither can smoke hear me.pliz help me with ideas because I have failed to disable it

Unknown said...

I bought this phone but I have a problem. I don't know how this headphone like icon pooped on my home screen now I can't hear an voice call neither can smoke hear me.pliz help me with ideas because I have failed to disable it