Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Use BleachBit To Restore Valuable Disk Space

In an age where you can buy a 320GB hard drive for $49.99, reclaiming hard disk space is not a priority. But there are still situations where you need to make sure that you have enough space on your hard drive.

For instance, I have been booting up using Linux Mint 9 as a persistent install on a 4GB USB stick. I have updated and customized the installation, so I figured it was just a matter of time before the system warned me about having low disk space.

Today the system warned me that I only had 140MB out of the 3GB persistence file that I set up. I figured that most of it was the cache on Chromium and Firefox, so I went into Package Manager and looked for "cache". I sifted through the search results and I found BleachBit.

I installed it and quickly found out that the 0.7.3 version hosted was older than the 0.8.0 version currently for download. So I installed the newer version for Lucid Lynx.

It was eye-opening to say the least. I can preview results when I choose to clean certain folders. For a cleanup of the cache file for Chromium and Firefox, I get about 300+MB reclaimed. But when I include APT, Broken Desktop Files, System Cache, and Localizations, this is what shows up:




That is a lot of disk space. 

You will have to run BleachBit as an Administrator to be able to reclaim space from apt and the System category. 

It only took about 2 minutes for the operation to be completed. I was actually running BleachBit while typing this post up! 

There is also a version available for Windows users so you might want to try that as well. 

You might want to read these guides for more information:

No comments: