Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Success and Luck

The next assignment I have to submit is a make or break one. So I spent some time thinking about the answers, even though I was doggedly tired already.

After I had my fill of thinking about heaps and nodes, I saw the latest company magazine and saw the set of people that were celebrating 5 years of work.

I thought to myself, would I still be in this position in 5 years' time?

Ah. Time to think about Plan B.

That brings me back to my books, my assignments. And I felt good about it.

A few months ago I wasn't even sure I would last this long - the damned ferry trip every week sure takes the edge off having one of the highest entry-level salaries anywhere. Even now it's a week to week thing; no one is sure, or safe, in their jobs at my company.

Don't get me wrong - I like this job. More than being screamed at by arrogant consultants, selfish senior residents, and inconsiderate patient companions. My job brings me in touch with technology, and technology makes knowledge accessible, and everybody knows that knowledge is power (thanks to the late Ernie Baron).

It's just that, well, I'm not sure of my place in the great scheme of things - at least for the next quarter. Or maybe it's just a misplaced feeling I have.

That is why it is always reassuring to have Plan B. And Plan C, D, E, ad nauseam.

I've not felt lucky for a long time. I have read somewhere that being successful sometimes takes a bit of luck too. So that explains why, even after trying my best to toe the company line I am still... here.

Maybe it's time to hedge my bets. Again.

No comments: