Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Midsemester in December

It's the last month of the year. A little bit older, a little bit wiser. And here I am, still knee-deep in school work.

I should be used to the fact that there are long wait times for everything from the University of the Philippines. Still, not knowing if you passed or failed the two courses you took last semester makes it a little bit harder to concentrate on the current semester. Especially since you do not have a slightest clue about your pre-final standings.

With the way things are going, I would not be surprised to get grades from last semester only after midterms have finished.

Searching for resources on my current coursework has proven to be difficult. Yes, there are a lot of resources, but because they use a different style of presentation/programming language/focus of discussion, it would be hard to reconcile the material to the canonical one on the module. Even now, I am successfully confusing myself by looking at the Pascal "pseudocode" in the module and linking elements from the guidelines on creating pseudocode.

On the other hand, I have a newfound respect for those who really understand the basics of Computer Science. The languages and approaches may change, but the underlying logic will stay the same.

I just hope that at the end of this semester, I would still be able to submit acceptable coursework and pass my courses.

You really have to love what you're doing so that when you are faced with setbacks like this, you'll still press on. For anybody that was not so inclined and had an easy way out, it would be easy to just submit the Leave of Absence form and forget about the aggravation.

==

I was emailed by one of my former teachers who is also a surgical consultant. It was about a dream gig, a combination of health and IT and a real hand in helping craft future policy. If only there were no complications in the way...

Especially since I'll have to wait for a little bit longer before I am able to make a clean break.

No comments: