Sunday, November 09, 2008

Rolly Hits My Career

Sometimes a storm hits and you cannot stop it at all - you just have to brace for impact and hope for the best.

Yesterday, Tropical Depression Rolly hit the Central Visayas Region. As a result, all ferry traffic to and from Iloilo City were cancelled.

Of course it was an unforeseen circumstance. I arrived at the pier only 90 minutes after the announcement - 3 trips were already permitted to set sail. Dozens of people were milling in and out of the waiting areas. Most went home after learning of the cancellation. I waited for an hour and a half just to make sure that this was not a fluke. Later, I called the shipping company and they said that there had been no ferry trips after the announcement was made.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not about to risk my life over a few hundred pesos - if the authorities banned ferry travel, so be it. I knew when I applied for this position that there was a small possibility of this happening.

However the repercussions from my absence would be damaging to the well-cultivated performance results I have so far achieved at work. It's just that reliability is so prized in the office, that I shudder to think about what will happen when I get back. The worst thing that could happen is that I would not be considered for a promotion for a long time.

And this story is not over yet. I was able to talk to one of the ferry's representatives while waiting at the pier. She said that if there was still a Storm Signal hoisted over Iloilo later, chances are that the Coast Guard will still cancel all trips for today. I hope not.

I guess the good thing would be the rest that this forced furlough has given me. Time to think and reevaluate things and see if there are some adjustments that need to be made. I never thought a career change would be this hard... no wonder most people elect to stay in a thankless job rather than take the risk.

Update: The Storm Signal has been lifted, and now I can go back to Bacolod and home to minimize the impact of my absence due to weather. Wish me luck.

No comments: