Wednesday, February 20, 2008

At Home, Compiling

Who would have thought a year ago that I would be at home, running SPEC files to compile and install programs on my Solaris partition?

I was about to be disappointed again as the most recent Solaris release still didn't have something like Fedora's yum for software. I didn't know the first thing about how to compile from source... well, I do now, but it's still a pain to figure out - and I am only comfortable with Java sources.

But anyway, I was looking for a way to run Wine on Solaris, so I can at least retain some Windows functionality without resorting to XP again. I then found out that there was this wonderful thing called SFE, which you can see here, that would require some hand-wringing on my part before I can compile open source modules using the specifications. I had to download the JDS Common Build Environment and run it several times before realizing that one of the packages that is specified in its install script, SUNWsmbaS, is not required anymore.

Lesson: when prompted to install all required packages, answer "no" and install everything except SUNWsmbaS (found in the Solaris 11 install DVD) - one by one.

Now I have downloaded and compiled putty and unrar on my machine. Tried top, twice, before giving up - it's not a dependency problem like deluge, which I am trying to resolve right now.

Who would have thought?

But if a torrent client like Deluge would take me more than 30 minutes to install, I guess I have to allot some time for downloading and compiling from source. OpenArena, here I come!

No comments: