Sunday, December 23, 2007

No Text Greetings From Me

For the past 5 years or so, I was able to send out at least 100 text messages during Christmas Eve and the last day of the year. I try to create the most poignant greeting that can fit into 160 characters and send it to all my friends in my address book.

But this year is different, because I won't be doing that thing again.

Not because I'm regressing to my usual, bite-me-if-you-don't-like-me attitude (because I'm trying so hard to be nice), but because technology is not cooperating with me once again.

My Nokia 6288 inexplicably started having bouts of shutting down without warning, especially when navigating menus or sliding it open. One week ago, I took it to a service center, and I was as sure as the person who attended to me that all my problems will be solved by a reflash of a newer, more stable software version.

I was wrong, as the episodes of mildly annoying shutdowns continued.

Taking advantage of the service warranty, I decided to send the phone for further repair today. After two hours, I checked up on it and was told that it would have to stay for a while for observation, which was a bad omen. It means that the Nokia Care people weren't able to pinpoint an "easy" cause for the problem.

On the way home, I thought about not being able to text all of my friends a very Merry Christmas. After all, I wasn't getting good results from it - only the most loyal of friends would bother to acknowledge with a reply. I could say, looking back, that it was indirect training for my current Marketing job.

So, considering that most of my friends would get in touch with me even in the absence of that broadcast anyway, I'd be greeting the rest of my friends who may find themselves reading this: Merry Christmas to one and All!

No comments: