Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's Alive!

[insert insidious laughter here]

I've finally appreciated the value of having a functional computer at home because of my experience. It was a quick fix - the much-ballyhooed power supply that my Dad and I bought turned out to be defective.

I did have fun running Puppy Linux on a hard disk-less Athlon 900 box. My bad RAM gave it some hiccups but I can't complain especially when I was running on 192MB, the functional equivalent of borrowed time. (Maybe also the reason why I can't install something - because the bad memory corrupted my downloads.)

Not anticipating this sudden reversal of fortunes, I forgot to make a backup of my Java source codes and upload it to my free file server, Ripway. So I am careful not to start a new project until my home folder is sync'ed with the one at the office. Especially since I was able to code some cool solutions to array problems. Hehehe.

I'll just listen to some Foo Fighters then, while updating my Prengster.

==

I was trying to "gently" remind an officemate about her P500 debt to me, which has been left unpaid for at least three months now. I may have made the critical error to remind her while replying to a group email. So I receive an email like this:
I WILL PAY YOU KARL, IF ONLY YOU WERE ABLE TO COMPREHEND THE ONE THAT I EXPLAINED TO YOU THE TIME WE SAW EACH OTHER... AS IF I CAN RUN, NEED NOT BROADCAST!
Hmmm.
  1. No, I wasn't able to get it the first time, and this email just makes things worse.
  2. I don't think there's a need to shout IN ALL CAPS. It just makes it obvious that you were humiliated by my small oversight of telling you to pay me before everybody resigns.
  3. Yes, you can run. Last time I checked, you weigh maybe half my weight, and can definitely outsprint me anytime.
So for P500, people go ballistic. Big deal.

When I was a little younger, I would go ballistic with antics like that hurled at my sedate, nonchalant person. But now that I have more important things to think about, I'll just post it on my blog, hope that she gets over it, and realize that all I needed was for her to pay up. Within a reasonable amount of time.

==

This. Is. So. Cool.

I wish I could have a system like that... running Windows on xVM would be cool - and force me to work natively on Solaris while learning Java.

For now, I only hope that the SXDE 9/07 DVD graciously sent to me by Sun would decently run on my resurrected machine. And that there would be a decent CHM reader available for Solaris.

Oops, there is xchm - one problem solved there.

No comments: