Sunday, October 14, 2007

Better PC Conditions

Two weeks ago, I had a hellish weekend tweaking and installing life extenders on my four year old Athlon XP setup.

As an update, I did some things that have improved conditions somewhat.

1. I changed the CMOS battery 3 days ago. Before that, my PC would inexplicably turn off without warning. It was worse than seeing a BSOD - at least you see an indication of why your machine stopped working. The battery has been complaining for 2 years to be replaced. I guess part of it was corrupted CMOS settings that refused to load when Windows fetched them. Now,my PC works without turning itself off once in a while.

2. I repartitioned my new HD into 2 primary partitions, was able to obtain a clean copy of Vista (not the Vista Lite crap that I had in the beginning), installed the NOD32 award-winning antivirus program, and downloaded all the updates. Also planned my install tree to a more rational one.

3. Safari 3 Beta from Apple is the fastest, most seamless, and visually pleasing browser I have used in a while. I may not return to Firefox anytime soon - sorry.

I also went to Joy's office with the intention of knowing why their computer was near-useless. First, the PC was still running Windows XP SP1. Big mistake in this Storm worm infested Internet. Armed with Knoppix 5.1, I also found out that the PC had a nasty rootkit running that always ran on startup as a 16-bit shell program. With only 256MB of RAM on board, and about 10 background programs, no wonder a CPU with twice the processing speed and L1 cache as mine would run 75% slower.

Weird seeing a lot of unneeded programs in an office PC. No wonder it got hacked by some rootkit. I'm sure it wasn't Joy's fault. I don't see her playing House of the Dead anytime soon, or else I've got some serious competition!

==
Went to team-building/free dinner yesterday. Was very disappointed on not being able to drink as my hyperacidity acted up again.

Don't get me wrong, I love my current job. It's just that I can't get a decent meal at home before I leave at 5:45AM.

Besides, my house is too damn far to dare going home at 4AM. With 4 semi-rabid (!!) dogs guarding the gates, I might be on the receiving end of an animal bite. Even if they know who I am, I'm sure the darkness and my new cigarette smoke fragrance (second hand smoke) would make them think twice. I really hate the unpredictability of it all.

==
For the few adventurous ones on Windows Vista, you might want to download the Virtual DJ Radio Gadget. Nice diversion from the usual MP3s I have, and the dance beats keep me awake.

==
Please encourage me to go forward with learning Java. As a career changer, I'm not moving as fast as I would have wanted to.

No comments: