Thursday, August 30, 2007

Something from Rommel

"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders." - Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel
Interesting that I am pointed to Herr Rommel's Wikipedia article while on break. It capped two months of waiting to be able to view Der Untergang, an account of Hitler's final 10 days in the F├╝hrerbunker.

Slightly interesting to note that during the fourth grade, for a time I had a fascination for the Swastika, and the Schutzstaffel runic symbol. I made intricate "invitations" for "meetings" with unsuspecting classmates, where I made them sign on those papers as proof of attendance. I did not know that almost 70 years before, the NSDAP leadership was assumed by Der F├╝hrer.

In my personal analysis, the greatness of the Third Reich was unrealized because of the maneuvering typically found in any collective of ambitious men. While it is nigh impossible to be able to form something as compelling and as ambitious as the Third Reich in today's more tolerant society, the positive values of nationalism and discipline should still be emulated by a progressive society. Especially one as decadent and as inefficient as that of the Philippines.

If I only had half the charm, half the intellect, and half the genius of Feldmarschall Rommel, I would be great too.

No comments: