Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I Changed my DTR Quote

In my new workplace there is a Daily Time Record system which conveniently records when you logged in and out of work - in real time. So much different from the old pen and paper system that is a government favorite.

I am covered by an iron clad NDA, so I will only say that the DTR can show you everyone else's faces with a personal motto/quote, along with other information. Some would be so direct as to say
I may not be always right, but I can NEVER be wrong.
Or they can indirectly motivate you by saying
Never, never, NEVER give up!
Sometimes you have to wonder why
Depression sets in when the lines of reality are blurred.
And sometimes somebody would just say
Adios!
I sought out to change my quote yesterday. The old one was a cheesy line from Gladiator:
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
I figured that many would be puzzled by this quote on my DTR. I agree that it reinforces my image as a wizened old man (by my new workplace's standards). Besides, I am not anywhere near the image of Maximus or any military man for that matter.

So I made some random searches, especially on the New Economy. I had recently believed that a person's success would be made not on the brick-and-mortar of old relationships (doctor in hospital or clinic) as there are so many of those and not much attention given to each individual.

I tried a quote from Kevin Kelly, having authored a book on the New Economy:
There is more to be gained by producing more opportunities than by optimizing existing ones.
But not too many people know the editor as compared to the wrestling commentator. It was a nice quote though, reflective of somebody who is trying to change careers.

Then I found a link on the New Economy wiki to an article about the Knowledge Economy. Peter Drucker, a name I had heard before, coined this term to refer to the use of knowledge to produce economic benefits. Isn't that what I am looking forward to now?

Maybe Mr. Drucker can point me to the right direction. Sure enough, he said in one of his books:
All economic activity is by definition "high risk." And defending yesterday--that is, not innovating--is far more risky than making tomorrow.
Yes! That's the quote I've been looking for. It will remind me that this change I had to institute would open up a lot more opportunities in the New Economy. It will make me think out of the box every time I see it. And it definitely sounds so intelligent and cool, I hope someone asks me about it.

But, isn't that quote most appropriate? Three years ago, I didn't expect myself to be performing a career shift like this. I always thought that after studying medicine, you have to fulfill a doctor's duties to be accepted in society, and society in turn will provide a place for you. Looks like society has not followed through on her promise.

No comments: