Saturday, January 27, 2007

Being an Aswang is an X linked dystonia???

I was in between my Final Fantasy VI game (retranslated by RPGone to its correct Japanese splendor!), therapy exercises, and writing on a Record Book for my secret project, when I decided to mindlessly look for anything related to Dinagyang.

You know, the tribal counterpart of Macy's Parade or something like that. A contest feverishly competitive, "tribes" practice months in advance and spend thousands of pesos on elaborate costumes and props.

Not that I have anything against it, but I'd prefer a certain festival that allows me to dance in the streets, following the "tribe" on a preset, or sometimes indeterminate, route. But that's another story for another time.

Anyway, predictably, the official site is complete with everything Dinagyang.

I also find a common portal, Dinagyang, that seems to be a hodgepodge of information.

A curious mini-article throws me to Iloilo City Boy's main article on a supposed scientific explanation for the Aswang legend - Dystonia de Panay.
To see someone afflicted with dystonia de Panay must have been a really scary sight especially to simple, superstitious folk. Hence the preponderance of aswang myths in the hinterlands.
Really? I don't think so.

Dear reader, judge for yourselves.

Wikipedia entry for Aswang

Now, would someone with X-linked dystonia parkinsonism (XDP) be fierce enough to eat small children, human livers and hearts?

Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man entry for XDP

Lee, et al. Sex linked recessive dystonia parkinsonism of Panay, Philippines (XDP). Molecular Pathology, 54 (6):362. (Read the caption for Figure 1 to understand why XDP is not so Aswang-like as Iloilo City Boy would have us believe.)

And, no, I don't need another PR and political consultant, thank you very much.

===
I just noticed that I've been spending too much time on this Interweb thingy. My therapist thinks it's a good thing, even as most of my links have not updated their sites for quite some time. I won't go into a six-day "permanent hiatus"; what I will do is answer some letters, tie up some loose strings, and plan for the next year.

Sharp-eyed readers may notice a change in the website on Monday. Text the change to me at +639162518937 on or before 6PM Monday Philippine time (+0800 GMT).

I figured that it would be fun posting my cellphone number in the Interweb.

No comments: