Friday, October 13, 2006

Throwing Out The Baby With The Bath Water

The title is an admonition from my sister, when I told her that I was having a severe case of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease with all the manipulation and posturing at work. Add to that the aggravation of still not having my score report, 8 weeks after my Step 1 exam. A duplicate score report sent to a U.S. address still hasn't arrived yet, 1 week after I requested it.

It brings me back to what Prof. Arnold Esguerra has told me some weeks ago - I am here to learn some Temperance. This Wikipedia article says that:
Classically, temperance was defined as governing natural appetites for the pleasure of senses according to the bounds of reason. No virtue could be sustained in the face of inability to control oneself, if the virtue was opposed to some desire; this is why it is classified as a cardinal virtue, where "cardinal" signifies "pivotal."
And as part of the Four Cardinal Virtues - Iustitia, Fortitudo, Sapientia, Temperantia.

It would be a severe argument in discerning if I already attained Temperance. After all, in my 10 years in Manila I've had my fair share of deprivation of privilege and parental care. Just think of the weekly delivery I make, bringing 7 or 8 kilos of laundry across 5 city blocks, for 2 years; the endless budgeting, looking for food, and calling long distance. Now I experience all that again, and more... but that is another story for another time. ;D

I'd like to believe that at this point in my life, I've already had enough of the Temperance I need. Any comments to the contrary are welcome.
==

Celebrating a randomly round number of page views to my site: 1900.


==

My former Junior Intern and now Doctor in her own right, Marian, has a blog article celebrating the firsts in her medical career. For days, my girlfriend has been asking me to read the article. Now I know why. :) surely brightened up my day!
==

Currently on heavy rotation on my MP3 Player: Ridge Racer 4 Direct Audio. Enjoy!

No comments: