Monday, September 11, 2006

Puppetmaster

Haven't updated in a while. Been caught up, not in the rapture, but in the scheme of things.

Had to take some time off to do my Step 1 exam, for the fulfillment of my American Dream. Which, by the way, seems to be fading, if the so-called "OASIS trick" is any indication. It would still let me apply to Step 1, implying that I did not pass the damn test. Anyway, there's still a glimmer of hope because it ain't over till it's over. I hope that the Score Report brings good tidings... if not, then there's your argument for full-time USMLE study.

The great announcement I wanted to make a little more than 2 weeks ago has been overtaken by events. My boss still hasn't shown up in a week and there's no one to ask for permission to leave. Not a "vacation leave" of some sort.

On a brighter note, my sister Daphnie and my girlfriend Joy passed the Philippine Physician Licensure Examination. Congratulations! Now comes the hard part: being a doctor in the Philippines. Although my sister may have other plans, especially those involving forays into the greener pastures of the United States.

A few days ago I was treated to lunch by Drs. Sombong, Cua and Tabiling at Mangan. It was the first time I saw my Surgery Consultant and Senior Residents after a long time. It was reassuring to know that ever since I left the Program, it has been reinstated; our Chairman retired after a full life of service; and the Chief Resident who did nothing but pass on his work to his subordinates, and held no responsibility or accountability, went on AWOL and never came back. How things have changed in such a short span of time.

I was also busy crafting a "masterpiece" literary nonfiction. Although only 4 pages in length if I remember correctly, my Chairman was impressed by the clarity and the closeness to the truth.

Today we witnessed how truly manipulative some people can be. To deny the evidence supporting our claim of propagating bias and humiliating co-residents during rounds and duties... truly amazing.

I am not at all happy with the current work environment. If other people can get by being played on a string, I'm not like that. I'm not a puppet like them.

No comments: