Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Triage Tales 12

Disclaimer: The following story is a work of fiction. All similarities to people, places, things and events are coincidental by nature.
==

Finally, I have gotten some inspiration from this post from I Hate the World...:

And they wonder why, every single time I see a young, budding medical student in the wards, wide-eyed and excited over breathing the same air as dazed men and women with stethoscopes draped round their necks like a hangman’s noose, or a smartly-dressed interview candidate, shifting nervously in his/her seat, trying to ignore the rivulets of sweat pooling in their sweaty palms, I have this irresistable compulsion to scream out “Save yourselves! Don’t do it! Leave! Run! It’s not everything you think it is - it’s nothing like what you think!”

In the fair course of things, and the Emergency Room residents working with minimal (if any) help from interns, I was inserting an IV heplock into my patient with ascites. I was mumbling to the kind nurse (rarely do they ever assist in such a trivial procedure, given the magnitude of their work) about how one day the Philippines will have half the doctors and nurses that they will have now.
"If I become senator, I will close down this hospital," I proudly declare.
"Yes, I'd think they could do that, if enough of us leave."

The congested ER sees patients' beds side by side without partition or any curtain. Naturally, the conversation is overheard by the responsible companion of the patient next to mine.
"You know, Doc, the kindness you are giving to our patients will not be repaid by cash but in the next life..."

That was everything I wanted to hear. Seriously.

No comments: