Sunday, March 05, 2006

You Know You Are Working So Hard When

... you lose two newly acquired things in the span of a week.

1) Motorola V505. A gift from my Tita, with IMEI 354754001480221. Why am I posting my IMEI? So that other people can "benefit" from this information, although I do not condone that kind of behavior.

It was a nice phone, a chance to experience using a flip phone for a change. And it was all for free. In a time where half the office bought the newest models on installment (Nokia N90, 6230i, Motorola V3 and V3i RAZR, Sony Ericsson W550i), it was a chance to experience something different without shelling out that amount of money.

I just lost it this afternoon. After a last-minute admitting stretch (3 emergent patients in 30 minutes), I just fell into a bunk at our callroom and woke up after 2 hours. I swear my phone was in my pocket before I slept, and it was all gone when I woke up.

2) Deja Review for the USMLE Step 1. I bought it when I was not able to find First Aid for the USMLE Step 1, considered by many as the "bible" for Step 1.

I think I showed it to too many people. It was a nice book, small enough to bring along and read during "down times" as the book actually suggested.

Left it in the triage area as I attended to a crashing patient. When I returned, only my trusty logbook of patients remained.

What does this all tell me?

I am somewhat of a scatterbrain, but I do remember where I generally put things. And I do cherish all my possessions, though not as much as other people.

There are a lot of thieves in the hospital. Sign of the times, maybe? The lack of self-respect that these thieves have is my consolation.

Also, it maybe karmic payment, prepaid perhaps? I believe that losing something is a form of karma... but I haven't done anything drastically diabolical recently.

And when I lose something of value, like my bike, my school bag, some of my video game cartridges, music tapes... it brings me to stop and reassess some things that I need to think about for a while. So it is, in a sense, a wake-up call. I think some of my better decisions were made when part of my brain was distracted by the thought of a possession lost.

No comments: