Friday, January 27, 2006

Triage Tales 4

Disclaimer: The following story is a work of fiction. All similarities to people, places, things and events are coincidental by nature.

A 50-ish couple approach triage and the wife wants the husband admitted to a private room because of 2 days of diarrhea and fever.

Not having any Admitting Notes from an attending, she is sent to Pay Admitting Section, a good 5-minute walk from the ER to reserve a room. When she has a reservation, she is made to fill up an information sheet about her husband and submits it to the Records section at the ER. She then pays P7.00 to the cashier, taking the same 5-minute walk. Then she lines up to be assessed by the Medical Social Service if they really can afford pay accommodations.

After all this hassle, wife breaks down crying: "I'm so tired, I've been going in circles for 6 hours already."

Looks like she could be the next patient soon. I wonder if she hasn't been exposed to public bureaucracy?

==
To hope against hope that life will be better in this country...

Idealism versus realism.

That slapped me squarely in the face when my 2 aunts who work as nurses in the U.S. visited me. They challenged me if I can accept being compensated with peanuts for taking care of human lives.

So now I have to decide whether the offer of help in obtaining U.S. licensure should be taken. Notwithstanding my mediocre grades and my lack of U.S. clinical experience.

If worse comes to worst, there is always Nursing.

No comments: