Saturday, December 10, 2005

On dreams and the future

"We create our future by what we dream today."

I really haven't had the time to think about what the future might bring. Being a doctor was a complete afterthought. I qualified for a so-called "elite" fast-track program, and I was fooled into thinking that I had it made. Coming from the provinces and all, I naively thought of doctors earning far more than the average Juan, with a constant stream of patients in their clinics and time for afternoon mahjong sessions. I was wrong.

These six months of self-imposed vacation/unemployment did wonders for clarifying what I want to do, what specialty I want to practice. Of course everything changed when Joy came into my life. I was thinking less of becoming a supermacho stud surgeon who has extramarital affairs with his students and more of a career that paid enough and let me spend more time at home.

It definitely wouldn't be here in the Philippines. I hope that part becomes a reality. I simply cannot earn my keep here if I want to retire early.

For many of us, we dream of a better future. And with our dreams come our plans to get there. I now painfully realize that it would take a while for me to have these dreams come into fruition. But then again I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth.

Soon I will be making a lot of sacrifices again, being away from the comforts of home, and far removed from my loved ones. But then if I don't take this opportunity, my career will be at a standstill. So it is by my own hand that I will endure these hardships, for the promise of a brighter tomorrow...

"Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty."
==

Naks! Napaka-melodramatic naman... thought I'd try my hand at feature writing, but sadly my hand is still that of a newshound's.

No comments: