Sunday, December 04, 2005

(I outgrew) Basketball

[Due to the untenable nature of events, I have deleted the previous sentences and revised the remainder of this post.]

I would have to do some things... Emphasis on the word "have".

Due to some unforeseen side effects of my previous employment, I still do not have medical clearance to work. At least I followed the immortal advice of Paul Laxalt to President Marcos, "Cut and cut cleanly."

I have to ensure that I'd have a place to stay come January.

Once all these things are straightened out, I can sit back, relax, enjoy the holidays before becoming a bonded servant once more. How I wish I'd have already accumulated enough money to retire.
==

It's hard if you don't share the same passion for basketball as your father, or worse, your sister. Even in the face of free courtside tickets and my Dad being practically friends with the team physician, I am here typing my blog post. Earlier I brought my incomparable girlfriend Joy to the jeepney station so that she could go home. ;P So I am alone at home while the whole family (and my cousin) is watching a live PBA game on free complimentary tickets.

Who can blame me? I think I outgrew my basketball "mania". In the days of Samboy Lim and Allan Caidic, I did watch the PBA on Vintage Television. I read (albeit grudgingly) the Philippine Star articles by Quinito Henson, before he was called "the Dean", and before he posted the results of a national sportswriting contest one day prior to the actual announcement... but that is another story.

Basketball doesn't hold the same magic as it did before, when I was watching it and I knew all the players and their numbers and positions. In a simpler time where there were no Fil-Ams, no MTV, and no kick-ass PC to play with all day, basketball was my friend.

Now I have a girlfriend, I have tons of games that I could play, and other, more interesting things on the tube. Well I guess it's something you outgrow.
==

I'm going to change my "in between jobs" status very soon...

That is partly the reason for all the edits in this post. You'll never know when someone that is connected with the positions I applied for searches my name on Google or Blogger and finds all these posts...

Then they'll know the answer to all the "Why are you here?" questions that they asked in all of those interviews.
==

Dr. Wilson: That smugness of yours really is an attractive quality.
Dr. Gregory House: Thank you. It was either that or get my hair highlighted. Smugness is easier to maintain.

**

Dr. Eric Foreman: You are aware of the Hippocratic oath, right?
Dr. Gregory House: The one that starts, "First, do no harm", then goes on to tell us: no abortions, no seductions, and definitely no cutting of those who labor beneath the stone? Yeah, took a read once. Wasn't impressed.

No comments: