Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Instant Ayos

Now, what is the deal with that "Instant Ayos" commercial? I've had enough of ads glorifying long, straight hair but this is ridiculous. LimeXtreme shares my disdain for this commercial and it is justified.
Damn... The song goes like its repeating those two lines for like the whole eternity and it will be surely stuck in your head... The commercial and its 'jingle' blared out at a very bad time... I was studying for my Invertebrate Zoology Lab test this Monday and I heard Mish Maravilla mindlessly dancing and singing the Rejoice shampoo jingle. Imagine hearing that commercial in school, at home, on the way home while inside public transport... its just insanity... I can feel my neurons dying slowly one by one...

Let me share something. If you are going to glorify long, straight hair as a position of genetic superiority, look at this article first to prove that you are correct.

Also, wavy hair will not get us anywhere as shown in one of the abstracts here.

This paper examines the ways in which hair texture impacts perceptions of ability, competence and professionalism for black women. xxx Further, tightly coiled, "frizzy" or "kinky" hair is surrounded by negative stereotypes as dominant definitions of beauty are repeatedly defined in terms of long, straight hair. xxx I predict that straighter, smoother hair textures will be associated with higher ability, competence and professionalism. Extremely curly hair is expected to correspond with lower perceptions of ability, competence and professionalism.

That is so unfair. Hair is not everything. Although it is in this article. And this article confuses me further.

So, in closing, I'd like to say that wavy hair is a distinct Spanish trait. All you indios can pour the Rejoice and none will be the wiser.

No comments: